Monday, August 3, 2009

You gonna wait too, fat boy, fat boy, wait til tomorrow...

I miss Silverchair. What ever happened to them? Even though Daniel Johns was blonde, he was still a cutie...I should really listen to their music more. I mean, it's not like they aren't on my iPod...

I heart my Nano, which I've had since Christmas '05. It's a measly 2GB, but since I'm always adding/subtracting songs, I hadn't filled the thing until the past week. Amazing. I love the tiny thing and will be sad the day it stops working because then it means I have to use my hefty iPhone when I workout. Granted, the phone can hold a TON more songs AND enables me to watch videos...but the kind of videos I want to watch just aren't available on iTunes.

I want to watch people running.

Does that sound crazy? I think that's part of what really helped me get into running last year. I remember watching the Olympics one afternoon at the gym (after consuming a RedBull), and I ran 2 MILES. Straight! I'd never run that much! Actually, it could have been 3 miles, but I really don't remember. I just remembering how awesome it felt because I'd never run any long distance before. Yeah, 2 miles isn't all that far now (oh wait, it is again), but it was back then. It's probably been about a year now since that day. And since then I've run an entire 5K (no walk breaks!), a 4 miler, and a half marathon. I can't believe I've done all that when I'd never been able to push myself to run more than a mile at one time.

That brings me to the point of this post- tomorrow I need to start buckling down with this running. I keep starting and stopping. I think the most I've run at once since the big race has been a mile. In more recent times, it's been a 1/2 mile. I want to run the half in October, but right now I'm in no shape to even THINK about that. I need to rebuild my base and get with the program. I also need some speed...

I've been pushing myself to run at a 10 minute pace on the treadmill, which is MUCH faster than the 12 minute pace I had been running before. I'm hoping that if I just start out at the speed, I'll be able to stick with it. I'm also trying to be mindful of my breathing and how my foot is hitting the ground. So every week, at least 4 times a week, I need to be chained to that treadmill. I know it's not as fun as being outside, but it's the only way I'm going to learn the pace.

As for running outside, I don't think I've done it at all this summer. There was a brief jog at the park in June (up a stupid hill which then ruined it) and a 2 mile run/walk up at the lake...but there's been nothing else. I have all kinds of excuses: I don't want to run with my pepper spray, I don't want to run alone, I can't keep up with the runners in Run Club, it's too hot...

One thing I can say for certain is that I'm getting my weight training in. I find that it's easier to focus in the tiny gym at work than at the fancy gym I pay for...and haven't been to in at least a month...but let's not talk about that...

So here's to tomorrow where I can get my workout in...since tonight was lost to yummy ahi tuna and cinnamon ice cream at Eddie Merlot's for a work dinner. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment