Sunday, January 16, 2011

The worst thing that could possibly ever happen...

The oven.

DEAD!

After spending the entire morning baking up Twinkies for the husband's birthday, putting rolls to rise, and mixing up a batch of strawberry fig newtons, the oven has ceased to work! It worked (thankfully) this morning when I baked the sponge cake, but after setting it to preheat for the fig cookies (and not hearing it not kick on because someone's Batman game is really loud)...I opened it up to find a cold, dark abyss. We googled the user guide (because no one left us the manual for the 20+ year old machine), and tried lighting the pilot light which seems to be the problem.

No dice.

The blasted thing won't light. J called the 800# and a repairman will stop by tomorrow. I feel like after his fee to just look at it, plus the cost of what repairs it may need, it seems like a new one might cost the same. I would think we'd get an estimate and go from there. I'd love a nice, new, clean(!) oven...but I really don't want that expense right now. Also, some of the models I was looking at online wouldn't be available until 02/06. WTF? I can't go that long without an oven!

I guess in the meantime (no matter what the outcome), I'll be kickin' it like Allie over at Live Laugh Eat and baking in the toaster oven. No longer just for toast, chicken nuggets, or garlic bread! Right now I'm trying to bake up my rolls that have been rising (too long). They're not getting very golden on top, but they seem to taste delicious. I can only fit in 3 at a time, so it's taking FOREVER.

Tomorrow I'll sort out what to do with my fig bars. I'd have grand plans today to make whip up a fresh batch of granola, too...but that will just have to wait. Bummed by my inability to bake, I don't even feel like making dinner anymore...I'd been planning on making Salisbury Steak with mashed potatoes for J's birthday dinner. It's not fancy, but it's got to be better than the tv dinner version that he likes so much. I guess I'd better go start on the potatoes!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that sucks! My sister was without a stove for three weeks while the landlords couldn't figure out to fix or replace the one they had.

    Thanks goodness for a toaster oven at the very least!

    ReplyDelete