Thursday, December 9, 2010

Doing my part

For awhile now I've been wanting to get involved with Local Matters, a non-profit here in Central Ohio whose mission is "To make local, healthy, sustainably grown food accessible to everyone." They have various volunteer activities ranging from educating schoolchildren, admin work, and working community events. I'm trying to incorporate more locally sourced items into my purchases, but sometimes it's hard to pass up berries when they're dirt cheap at the store...even though it's December and frosty here in the Midwest.

Source
Today I received an email from the folks at Local Matters asking for volunteers to work an event next week that I had been secretly pining to go to but couldn't knowing that no one would want to go (or be able to) with me. A Splendid Holiday is an event that brings together a bunch of local businesses in support of Local Matters. Not only will there be delicious treats from Jeni's (Baked Alaska!), but treats from Clever Crow Pizza, libations from Middle West Spirits, and other fun things.

So next Tuesday I will be on drink, cleaning, and food detail- whatever help they need. While getting into the event for free is a nice perk, it's really a great opportunity for me to get involved and (hopefully!) meet some new friends.

I've also signed up for another volunteer shift for The Greener Grocer at the North Market. I'll be helping to pack up their weekly market bags. This is a pretty busy time of year for them, so they need extra hands to get everything done. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment